guix-devel

Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:39:45 +0100

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:56:19 +0200
Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> wrote:

> I checked 'guix refresh -l python2' and I got a list of the python2-*
> packages which are leaf packages. I'm not suggesting that we right now
> get rid of them, but it seems to me something worth keeping an eye on.
>
> 'guix package -A ^python2- | wc -l' gave me 737
> the number of leaf python2 packages I found was 222.
>
> This is only a first round; I didn't check to see if we were to remove
> these packages how many more leaf python2 packages we would have.

I would also point attention to non-leaf packages, where python2 is
often a native-input which might or might not be eliminated.

Just out of curiosity I looked at the dependency-graph of icecat and
there are 24 edges going to python2 including from icecat itself, rust,
curl, clang, fontforge, zziplib, etc.

For example, I found out that zziplib uses python2 for creating
documents and there is a patch in the next release that will make it
work with python3.

I'm attaching that icecat->python2 subgraph as a dot-file.

Björn