guix-devel

Re: It's time to build "guix deploy"

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: It's time to build "guix deploy"
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:49:15 +0100

Thompson, David <address@hidden> writes:

> Other thoughts?

Just for reference: to update Berlin build nodes I use this script:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/install-berlin.scm

It’s not great, but it’s been helpful.

Berlin consists of a head node and many almost identical servers.  To
update one or more servers I run the script on the head node, which
generates operating system configuration variants for each of the
requested servers, builds the systems (offloading to all of the
connected build nodes), copies the system closures to the target
systems, and then runs “reconfigure” on the targets.

Since the operating system configuration record cannot be serialized,
the build nodes need to have a copy of the code that’s used to generate
the operating system configuration.  Not great.  (They only need it to
run “reconfigure”; they wouldn’t need that if “reconfigure” could
operate remotely.)

Anyway, I thought I’d share this with y’all.

--
Ricardo