guix-devel

Re: Policy to remove obsolete packages

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Policy to remove obsolete packages
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 23:18:04 +0100

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 07:06:35PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 12:16:12PM +0100, Björn Höfling wrote:
> > If a package is broken for more than 6 months, we should just remove it
> > from Guix. Prior to removing, we should announce on the dev mailing
> > list, maybe someone will care about it then. If there is no response
> > within 2 weeks, we really remove it.
>
> We were both in the talk and had the same reaction, so indeed I agree.

I agree with this as well.

It might be tricky to know when a package has failed to build for 6
months. Do we keep build farm evaluations for that long? Can we automate
failure notifications after a certain date?

But, it's not so important whether or not it has been exactly 6 months.
At a certain point we know it's been too long and that the package is
not useful anymore.