guix-devel

Restarting 'python-updates'

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Restarting 'python-updates'
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 18:36:09 +0200

Greetings Guix!

Python 3.6.2 is scheduled to be released in about a week[0].

Our current Python 3.5 is EOL[1], so we should upgrade ASAP. 3.6.2 seems
like a good excuse. It would be good to start building a branch based on
it once it is released (or core-updates is merged, whichever is last).

Are there any objections to deleting the current 'python-updates' branch
and starting a fresh one? Looking at `git log master..python-updates`,
most of the commits seem to have made their way to 'master' in some form.

I would also like to try making the newer versions of 'pytest' and
'mock' the default and instead add lower versions as necessary. Would
that be too much for one cycle?

Updating the heavy-impact python libraries will require upgrading many
collateral packages and solving new dependency cycles, so I'm hoping we
can start this effort earlier to make the process smoother. Thoughts?

[0] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0494/
[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0478/