guix-devel

Re: go package (was docker compose)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: go package (was docker compose)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 21:38:21 +0100

Jeff Mickey <address@hidden> skribis:

> * "Thompson, David" <address@hidden> [2016-01-11 10:44]:
>> I hear someone has a working Go package that hasn't been submitted
>> yet, so maybe we'll have Docker itself available someday.  That will
>> be interesting. :)
>
> I've gotten excited a few times on IRC, but unfortunately every time I
> run into weird libgcc_s issues with how go does it's linking (which is
> really assembling post link).
>
> Here are my current go-1.4.3 and go-1.5.3 packages:
>
> https://github.com/codemac/guix-pkgs/blob/master/tmp/codemac/packages/go.scm
>
> They still fail if you ever link against anything that dynamically links
> against glibc. This means any go program that uses the net, os/user,
> runtime or cgo packages fail to execute complaining they can't find
> libgcc_s. I've tried just about everything imagineable, and it's unclear
> to me how the nix gcc + glibc packages differ from the guix ones.

Not sure if that helps, but one of the differences is that Guix uses GCC
directly, albeit with a few modifications to its default “spec file”
such that libgcc_s and libc are automatically found (search for
GNU_USER_TARGET_LIB_SPEC in (gnu packages gcc).)

Conversely, Nixpkgs uses a wrapper around the real compiler; the wrapper
is a shell script that adds flags a bunch of flags such as
‘-dynamic-linker’:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/build-support/cc-wrapper/cc-wrapper.sh

> I'd love help / suggestions, I use golang at my day job so I'm motivated
> to get this fixed. I have a pretty good idea of what the go package
> system could look like for guix without us distributing PILES of
> statically linked go poop as well, but that's a separate discussion.

:-)

Sounds like with what you and Efraim have been doing we’ll hopefully get
there soon!

Ludo’.