guix-devel

Re: Adding tags to packages

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Adding tags to packages
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 17:22:26 +0100

> As Alex writes, one can always choose not to use tags; this would be an
> argument for implementing them.  However, it seems to me that the cost
> of implementing and maintaining them would be high enough (the
> implementation itself may not be that trivial if we want a query
> language, i18n, RDF(?), and whatnot.)

I understood the request to mean that a new field would be added that
contained words or phrases that are not easily/naturally added to the
description or synopsis field.  Search would just have to also check for
matches against the strings contained in the proposed tags field.

What would adding a query language for tags bring us that would outweigh
the cost of implementing it?  Wouldn’t it solve most of the problems if
we just added a field holding “additional” search terms for all those
useful terms that are not otherwise contained in the description or
synopsis?

~~ Ricardo