guix-devel

Re: Adding operating-system field for a custom /etc/profile.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Adding operating-system field for a custom /etc/profile.
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 21:30:10 +0100

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès (2015-11-24 15:48 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

>>> Besides will the system really be broken?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> I don't agree with your points, so it is "No" for me.

Alex, this is unproductive.  Please let’s get back to work now.

>> Anyway, I think the way forward is to make /etc/profile modular in
>> similar fashion.  What about starting with an /etc/profile service that
>> can receive Bash snippets and paste them in the middle of the file,
>> right before:
>>
>>   if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" -a -f /etc/bashrc ]
>>   then
>>     # Load Bash-specific initialization code.
>>     . /etc/bashrc
>>   fi
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> I agree that a modular /etc/profile would be great, but only if *any*
> part of it can be changed or removed, otherwise this decision will have
> the same problem: one day there will appear users who would like to
> change the parts that cannot be changed.
>
> But still I prefer to have a straightforward way to set my own
> /etc/profile.  Or maybe it would be good to have even a more general
> solution: a way to specify any file that goes to "/etc" dir, something
> like this:
>
> (operating-system
>   ;; ...
>   (etc-files
>    ("hosts"   (local-file "/home/me/guix/etc/hosts"))
>    ("profile" (local-file "/home/me/guix/bash/my-favourite-etc-profile"))
>    ("fstab"   (local-file "/home/me/guix/etc/fstab"))))

Please take a look at ‘etc-service’.  It’s essentially what you describe.

> You will probably consider this decision evil, but for me it's a perfect
> solution.

For you, understood.

> Sorry, but this is not what I want.  I would like to have a full control
> on any aspect of my system.

I think you’re overreacting.  I feel bad because in spite of several
attempts, I’m failing to get us to focus on concrete proposal to move
forward.  I don’t know what to add.

Ludo’.