guix-devel

Re: The problem of "guix build emacs --with-source=./emacs"

From: Jeff Mickey
Subject: Re: The problem of "guix build emacs --with-source=./emacs"
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:43:35 -0800

Forgot to CC the list...

* Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> [2015-11-12 04:49]:
> tumashu <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> When I use the below command to build emacs from emacs.git
>>
>>     guix build emacs --with-source=./emacs               (emacs dir is git
>> repo)
>>
>> Build fail, after i remove the .git, build success.
>
> Could you explain how it fails exactly, and post the tail of the
> build log?
>
>> The repo of emacs.git is 1.5G, is it the reason?
>
> I don’t think so.  That certainly makes it a bad option, though.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Isn't the emacs/.git dir is included in the hash calculation if it's
left in there? I believe that guix calculates these hashes without the
.git dir IIRC. Not sure of great ways to work around this without moving
the './emacs/.git' dir outside of ./emacs during your build, as .git
dirs contain all kinds of non-reproducible state on disk

  //  codemac