guix-devel

Xorg video inside VirtualBox

From: Paul van der Walt
Subject: Xorg video inside VirtualBox
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:24:20 +0100

Hello all,

I hope i won't commit any grave errors of etiquette, since this is my first post here.

I've been experimenting with installing Guix inside a VirtualBox virtual machine, and it's pretty cool. I'm even managing to figure out how to install packages ;)

My problem is thus: i've installed slim by adding the following to my system config: (i also do the necessary import at the top)

 (services (cons* (slim-service)
                  %base-services))

This compiles fine, using `guix system reconfigure /etc/myconfig.scm`, but when i reboot the VM, X seems to start alright, but with a garbled screen. <http://i.imgur.com/XT5n24X.png>

I suspect that this is because it is loading the vesa driver and not the vboxvideo driver (according to /var/log/X.org.log it tries to load vboxvideo then falls back to vesa after failing -- it just says "Warning, couldn't load module vboxvideo").

My question is therefore: has anyone else managed to get X working inside a VirtualBox VM? If so, how? And, (assume i'm a total noob here) where can i find the vboxvideo driver: in a package, or should i compile it from source? I am willing to try and package it as a practise-case for myself if it's not already in the Guix repos, but i have no idea where to begin.

Thank you for your time and effort! And my apologies if i should rtfm/gtfo/be beaten by a clue-stick!
p.