guix-devel

Re: Containers on Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Containers on Guix
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:16:48 +0100

David Thompson <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> A container is programs or full os running in an isolated environment.
>>> For a full container with rootfs, we can:
>>>   build the rootfs:
>>>     of Guix:    by using a form of `guix system init'
>>
>> I think it’s enough and cheaper to build the system (as per ‘guix system
>> build’) and to bind-mount its closure in the container’s file system.
>
> I'm having trouble with this approach.  pflask tries to create a /proc
> directory but can't because that would be writing to the store.

Hmm, the store should be under /container/gnu/store, not /container, no?

> Do I need to bind-mount each sub-directory within the
> /gnu/store/...-system directory so that the root of the container
> directory is still writable?

Let’s say /container is the root of the container.  It must be a
regular, writable directory.

As a first step it’s OK to bind-mount all of /gnu/store to
/container/gnu/store.

What guix-daemon does is to bind-mount precisely each element of the
store that is needed, so there’s no “leak”.

HTH!

Ludo’.