guix-devel

Re: Help needed for screenshots

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Help needed for screenshots
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:50:43 +0100

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <address@hidden> skribis:

> Em Mon, 17 Nov 2014 16:13:16 +0100
> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) escreveu:
>
>> I’d rather remove the table altogether, unless LibreJS really uses it.
>
> LibreJS *really* needs it.  JavaScript License Web Labels is the
> preferred, and practical, method for labeling third party scripts as
> free [0].
>
>> And even if LibreJS uses it, I’d rather make it invisible.
>
> Wouldn't that defeat one of the purposes of the method's design?
> People should have easy access to the source code of the programs they
> are running.  If we hide the table, people won't easily find the source
> code.  So, what would be the purpose of stating them as free in the
> first place?

Yes, you’re right.  I knew of the @licstart tags, but not JS labels;
indeed, it makes sense to make software distribution more visible in
this way.  javascript-labels-rationale.html explains it very well.

> I think the best solution is to make a separate page
> 'javascript.html' with the table, and put a small, but prominent,
> LibreJS logo linking to that page, like I did for my personal web site.
>
> What do you think?

Well, in hindsight, you’re right.  Let’s just leave it as is.

We still need a fix so LibreJS actually uses it, though.

Thanks!

Ludo’.