guix-devel

Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB

From: Omar Radwan
Subject: Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 07:21:54 -0800

>I wonder if RMS has a good argument to justify his insistence in the
>truthfulness of the equation 'GNU = GNU/Hurd' beyond the well-known
>historical and technical ones.

I see where you get that idea from. Linux-libre is just a deblobbed fork of the Linux kernel and the project which manages Linux-libre is a GNU project,
But it's not the real GNU kernel, so it would still have to be called GNU/Linux-libre, or GNU/Linux. And with Linux-libre, and almost all forked projects that I have ever seen(MATE, Trinity, illumos, openIndiana, and the *BSD's to some extent), there is usually too much code for the project to handle, and it becomes a mess. The Linux kernel is approximately ~10 million lines of code, with a huge team, very hard to just fork it and make it your own. While the HURD is much smaller(with Mach I think I've read somewhere that it's about 200,000 lines of code) codebase wise. And it is written in GNU C style and doesn't have many small "hack" or shortcuts taken by the Linux kernel to achieve very fast speeds.
On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <address@hidden> wrote:
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Agreed.  But note that RMS asked me to not insist on calling the OS
> “the GNU system”, at least for now (AIUI, his main concern is that
> GNU = GNU/Hurd, which is not currently supported.)

I wonder if RMS has a good argument to justify his insistence in the
truthfulness of the equation 'GNU = GNU/Hurd' beyond the well-known
historical and technical ones.

>From a strategical perspective, I fail to see why the distinction
between GNU/Linux-libre and GNU/Hurd could be of any relevance.  IMHO,
calling both simply "GNU" would help in the promotion of the GNU
project and its ideals.  That would not cause confusion, because GNU
would be defined as an operating system of multiple kernels, and
technical-inclined people would always know how to tell the difference
when needed or appropriate.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;