guix-devel

Long-term Release Kernels

From: Jason Self
Subject: Long-term Release Kernels
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:02:50 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering what people though about whether or not there should
also be a long-term release kernel package (see the longterm section
at [0]) in addition to the current one which always tracks the latest
version?

The short-term support versions provides all of the latest changes and
features but is only supported for about 2-3 months after release so
you're upgrading to new a new stable series more often.

In contrast, the long-term versions are suported for at least 2 years
(sometimes longer like the 3.2 and 3.4 series which will be supported
for 4 and the 2.6 series which is supported for 6) but won't
necessarily have the latest stuff. I could see that some might want a
kernel that isn't changing as much.

Thoughts? If it's a good idea, which version to select and how should
it work (i.e., if it's 3.14 there will probably be a newer long-term
kernel prior to the Aug 2016 date that it's dropped.)

[0] https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html