guix-devel

Re: emacs package

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: emacs package
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:55:24 +0200

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:

> I've installed guix 0.7 and its emacs package (and updated with "guix
> pull" and "guix package -u"). When I start emacs I get the following
> message:
>
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings
> will not be saved or shared with other applications.

It looks like a mere warning, not a fatal error, right?

FWIW I don’t see it on the whole Guix system here.

> I'm on Debian 7.6 with the packages libcanberra-gtk-module and
> libcanberra-gtk3-module. I've noticed that guix provides a libcanberra
> package. Should I install that one as well? If yes, shouldn't the
> emacs package install it automatically? Is it possible to make emacs
> find the system installed libcanberra library?

Using the host distro’s libcanberra would likely fail in unexpected
ways.

Perhaps the solution would be to add libcanberra as an input to the
‘emacs’ package, in emacs.scm.  Would you like to try that?

> Also I'm wondering about the meaning of the second line.

I don’t think Emacs uses GConf for anything serious, so I wouldn’t worry
about that.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.