guix-devel

Re: guix 0.7 installation

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: guix 0.7 installation
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 14:08:33 +0200

> The was a bug in 0.7 where ‘make clean’ would remove that os-config.tmpl
> file: <http://bugs.gnu.org/18243>.
>
> Just unpack guix-0.7.tar.gz afresh and it’ll be there.

That indeed did the trick. Thanks!

Having played with guix a little bit, I have a few questions:

- My locally built guix is now built with references to guix libraries
  (in /gnu/store). What happens if I "guix pull" and "guix package -u"
  and then garbage collect old profiles and packages?  Is it possible
  that at some point my guix will break?

- Every time I use guix I get the following note:

  ;;; note: source file /usr/local/share/guile/site/2.0/srfi/srfi-37.scm
  ;;;       newer than compiled /usr/local/share/guile/site/2.0/srfi/srfi-37.go

  I guess it is just a matter of recompiling the module, but the
  "make install" procedure should in principle get it right.

- Out of curiosity I've installed the guix package into my store. The
  installation procedure suggested to define the following environment
  variables:

  export GUILE_LOAD_PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0"
  export GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0"

  I did that. However, the guix package binary was still pointing to
  my local copy of object files in "/usr/local/share/guile/...". That
  sounded a little worrying to me. For this reason, for the moment, I
  just removed the guix package. Is there a way to force the guix
  package binary to only look in the store for object files?

- If I would install the guix package and uninstall the locally built
  one from /usr/local, how would a new user be able to start using
  guix?

- To use the build tools from the stores I've defined the following
  environment variables:

  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/pkgconfig"
  export ACLOCAL_PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/share/aclocal"
  export CPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/include"
  export LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib"

  Is it possible that having these variables defined does interfere
  with the workings of my host distribution (Debian 7.6)? What
  happens, say, if an install script for a Debian package makes use of
  pkg-config (or any other tool) and there is a difference between the
  one expected by the Debian package (reported by ATP tools) and the
  one found on my system? Should I better not have these variables
  defined by default?

  If there could be interference then it probably would make sense to
  have a script similar to pre-inst-env for people installing guix on
  another distribution.

Thanks for the help and the great work!
Regards,
Fede