Re: GPT-4 knows Guile! :)

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: GPT-4 knows Guile! :)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 00:18:31 +0100

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> which has tried to be free (in both senses). For images, there is
> Stable Diffusion (disclaimer:I don't know much about them). For
> raw data, there's Common Crawl [3], which is Stable Diffusion's

Stable diffusion has one of the most evil licenses I’ve read till now:
using its images seems to be allowed for almost all proprietary uses,
but illegal for free culture use. See the explicit questions about that
here: https://github.com/CompVis/stable-diffusion/issues/131

A license that makes its output only usable for proprietary creations
but not for free culture is like the polar opposite of the GPL or CC
by-sa: making a tool that gives proprietary creations an advantage over
Free Culture.

Some quotes:

…
…
>> "No use of the output can contravene any provision as stated in the
>> License.".

> A Japanese lawyer I know told me that, in general terms, releasing
> output under the CC-BY could be a violation of the license if such a
> provision exists. (* He is not familiar with this license and has not
> reviewed it in detail)

No answer from the developers.

Best wishes,
Arne