Re: Happy birthday, Guile!

From: Christopher Lam
Subject: Re: Happy birthday, Guile!
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 13:38:37 +0000

A bit late, and perhaps not as sophisticated as some bigger modules here.

Two functions defined as follows: nested-alist-set! nested-alist-get at
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/1f83cfaf64d1cd3c8862b427dd043154f780a772/gnucash/report/html-chart.scm#L37

Consider a nested alist describing unix file system
(define lst
 (list
  (cons 'usr (list
              (cons 'bin "binary files")
              (cons 'games "g4m3s")
              (cons 'include (list
                              (cons 'guile (list
                                            (cons '2.2 "old")))
                              (cons 'linux "da best")))))))

We can access a leaf node via (nested-alist-get lst '(usr include linux))
--> "da best", and set a leaf node via (nested-alist-set! lst '(usr include
python) "boo"). This is probably easy to seasoned schemers, but still a
nice pair of functions to use in modifying nested alists before conversion
into json.