Re: Guile fibers return values

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Guile fibers return values
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 13:58:24 +0100

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

By "process" I meant only "sequence of steps performed", the main thunk
in run-fibers, separate from the steps that are run in the spawned
fiber, not really OS process or thread.

I will take a look again at the parallel forms and think about whether I
want to use them or fibers.

Originally I had my algorithm in Racket and could not get it to work in
parallel, unless I explore places and serializable lambdas more.

I think fibers are more flexible than the parallel forms though, as one
could also build a pipeline using fibers or any kind of network of
connected computation tasks, while the parallel forms split a task
immediately and then join again. Not sure any of the additional
flexibility of fibers helps me. Perhaps I can use both and abstract from
it with an additional abstraction layer. Then my code could also be used
more easily in other Schemes.

This is my project:
https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/guile-ml/src/wip-port-to-guile

I still am not sure though, if I can simply use any lambda I want and
send that to a fiber, or I need to look out for things like "What is in
the environment of the lambda?". It would be good to know that. I guess
it depends on how data sent on channels is handled in the fibers library.

Regards,

Zelphir