Re: State of lilypond with Guile 2?

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: State of lilypond with Guile 2?
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 22:15:36 +0100

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your answer and for continuing to check Guile 2!

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> I had the recollection that lilypond nowadays can work with Guile 2, but
>> when I checked right now in the docs, I saw them saying "Version 2.x of
>> Guile is not currently supported"
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/included/compile.itexi;h=0abd68a9177912138f01055504f20721e4a507de;hb=HEAD#l85
>>
>> Do you know the state of using lilypond with modern Guile?
>
> Due to the lack of manpower we don't get close to release any LilyPond
> supporting guile-2.x.
> Thus the known problems persist.
> All low hanging fruits are done, though and speaking only for me: I
> can't go deeper, it's beyond my depth.
> Remember, I'm not even a programmer, but a musician, maybe an
> ambitious musician ;)
>
> Additionally I recently found something preventing our `make
> test-baseline´ to work.
> Probablly identified here:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2019-10/msg00236.html
> (unsolved)
>
> Following the link you'll find a .zip containing several patches.
> Applying them you'll get a successful
> `make´ and `make doc` for every guile up to guile-2.9.4, but  as said
> `make test-baseline´ fails.

That actually looks pretty promising. Thank you for tackling it!

So with your patches Lilypond works with Guile 2.0.14. Is there a chance
that you could get them into a new guile-v2-work-rev2 branch or such?

And maybe post the commands you use to build and test it?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein