Re: guile-user Digest, Vol 204, Issue 2

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: guile-user Digest, Vol 204, Issue 2
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 10:52:16 -0800

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 10:19 AM Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Zelphir could propose a SRFI for the API only, with no reference
> > implementation.  The existing implementation could remain copylefted.
>
> John Cowan <address@hidden> replied:
> > Unfortunately not.  A SRFI must have a sample implementation to get
> > finalized (otherwise it is feared there would be too many WIBNI SRFIs).
> > The implementation doesn't have to be portable, but it has to have the
> > correct license.
>
> That's unfortunate.  I stand corrected.
>
> Nonetheless, I find it regrettable that you've chosen to pressure a
> library author on a GNU project forum to abandon copyleft licensing.
> Personally, I don't think that SRFIs are important enough to justify
> bowing to such pressure.  Guile-JSON's association with Guile and Guix
> is enough for it to gain wide adoption, whether it is a SRFI or not.
> That said, it is of course Aleix's decision how to license his library.

Don't worry Mark. I don't feel any pressure at all.

Until now it hadn't even occurred to me that guile-json could become an
SRFI. Regarding the license, I have been happy with GPL3 so far. Since my
main focus is on Guile (as a hobby) I'm also happy and humbled that
projects like Guix, GnuCash and others use it.

I would of course be a bit sad if a new SRFI implementation shows up and
people start replacing guile-json with it, so that's something for me to
consider. If at some point I decide to switch to the MIT license I assume
the projects that currently use guile-json would still be able to use it
(probably renamed to some SRFI number) the same way they use other SRFIs,
right? Of course they would need to be ported, which would probably be a
bit painful if the SRFI API diverges too much from guile-json.

I'm also surprised there hasn't been any other Scheme implementations that
hasn't made an SRFI for JSON, I'm sure all of them have their own
implementations. May be SRFIs are not a huge priority? May be they should
be? I don't have an answer for that.

So, for now, I think I will keep things as is unless the Guile community
and guile-json users tell me to switch or do something different.

Best,

Aleix