Re: Interactive Debugging

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: Interactive Debugging
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:18:18 -0400

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 8:40 AM Matt Wette <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 10/17/19 9:39 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> > Hi, it seems like with the flexibility of Guile, I should be able to do
> > something like this:
> > ```(define (foo)  (let ((a 1)        (b 2)        (c 3))    (jump-into-
> > debugging-repl)))```
> > And have access to a, b, and c and their values. But I'm not quite
> > figuring out how to this.
> >

> Define dump-into-debugging-repl as
>
> (start-repl #:debug (make-debug (stack->vector (make-stack #t)) 0
> "trap!" #t))

I think something like this should be shipped in the (system repl
debug) module.  I'm used to quick and easy access to a debugger in
other languages, such as Ruby, and having to wrap your head around the
REPL, debug, and stack code is too much to ask of any new Guiler.

Would a patch like this appeal to the maintainers?

- Dave