Re: installing older guile version

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: installing older guile version
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 17:08:23 +0100

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 04:00:11PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> > So  I got me an older version guile-1.7.91 (as I couldn't find any
> > 1.8, this was the nearest to <1.9.0).
>
> 1.8.8 is the latest.  Current compilers and Texinfo might require a few
> patches.  I think I remember that someone on this list (Thien-Thi
> Nguyen?) maintained his own 1.8 version: it may be that joining forces
> with him while Guile-2.x remains unsuitable for use with LilyPond is a
> good idea.

After yet another guile-fight to get lilypond running on my Debian
Testing systems without breaking half of the system I'm convinced that
it would be way more productive to port Lilypond to S7 Scheme
(https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/s7.html) whose C interface,
IIRC is pretty much Guile-compatible (renaming scm_ to s7_).

Juat  0.02$ from a former guile user ...

 Cheers, Ralf Mattes