Re: Shared Substrings [was: Worrying development]

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: Re: Shared Substrings [was: Worrying development]
Date: 22 Jan 2004 11:26:51 -0700

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Shared substrings as they have been provided by guile could have
> served two purposes:
>
> 1) saving resources (run time and memory)
>
> 2) communicating changes via something like a shared memory interface

It seems to me that the second case would be better served via a
more formally designed shared memory API.

As for the first case, that's just a performance hack.  True, some very
interesting examples have been given in which that performance hack has
been useful--but wouldn't it be better to work on improving the
performance of strings in general?  If an application really does need
the hack, wouldn't it be better for the author to write his own
extensions in C rather the cluttering up guile proper with what the
uninitiated might perceive as integral functionality?

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
Politicians and nappies should both be changed at regular intervals, and