guile-sources

Useful Sites # 68 about Russia, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Nu

From: FITA's Really Useful Sites
Subject: Useful Sites # 68 about Russia, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Nutrition
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:33:00 -0400 (EDT)

To view this newsletter in full-color:
http://www.fita.org/useful/useful.html

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Issue 68 Volume 3
Number 20
September 24, 2003
Issue 68
VOLUME 3 Number 20

 IN THIS ISSUE
OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- RUSSIA
FOREIGN CORRUPT PRACTICES ACT
NUTRITION FACTS ANALYZER
CHINESE VERSION OF REALLY USEFUL SITES FOR INTERNATIONAL TRADE PROFESSIONALS

Hello, John McDonnell here, with your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for
International Trade Professionals. In this issue I review a site that will help
you research Russia, a country with growing opportunities for trade. I also
found sites that will get you up to speed on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
And I found a site that will give you the nutrition content of the food you eat
-- and that's a big help if you're trying to eat right.
If you'd like more information about international trade, go to FITA's
International Trade/ Import-Export Portal <http://fita.org> ( http://fita.org
), an excellent source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of
7,000 sites related to international trade.

OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- RUSSIA
http://menic.utexas.edu/reenic/countries/russia.html#Economics

People like me who grew up in the 1950s, and remember when the Russians seemed
like an unstoppable force in everything from ice hockey to space exploration,
are still in shock over the collapse of the Soviet Union. Today's Russia is a
fraction of the size of the former Soviet Union, and it's gone through some
tough economic times, but it's still one of the 20 largest economies in the
world. That alone makes it worth a look for international traders, but when you
read forecasts that the real income in Russia will grow by up to 28 percent in
2005 from 2002 levels, you realize there's great potential for business there.
You'll find a useful gateway to Russia at the University of Texas' REENIC
<http://menic.utexas.edu/reenic/countries/russia.html#Economics> (
http://menic.utexas.edu/reenic/countries/russia.html#Economics ) site. Here
you'll find links to Russia in categories like: Culture, Current Events,
Economics, Education, Geography and Travel, Grants, Politics, Science and
Technology, Statistics, and more. You could spend days exploring all the links
at this site, and it's worth bookmarking if you're interested in Russia as a
trading partner.
Several of our member associations are devoted to trade relations with Russia
and they have Web sites with extensive resources. Take a look at the sites of
the U.S.-Russia Business Council <http://www.usrbc.org/Links.asp> , the
Foundation for Russian American Economic Cooperation
<http://www.fraec.org/Resources.htm>, the Mid-Atlantic - Russia Business
Council <http://www.ma-rbc.org/relres.html>, the U.S.-Russia Chamber of
Commerce of Boston <http://www.usrccne.org/> and the Canada Eurasia Energy and
Industry Alliance <http://www.ceeia.org>.
There are many more resources for Russia at the FITA site. Several books about
doing business in Russia are available in FITA's Global Trade Book Store
<http://fita.org/marketplace/books.php>. Take a look at Doing Business with
Russia <http://fita.org/marketplace/product.php?asin=0749438398>, Doing
Business in Emerging Europe
<http://www.fita.org/marketplace/product.php?asin=0333993012> or The Ultimate
Insider's Guide to Doing Business with Russia
<http://www.fita.org/marketplace/product.php?asin=0972020608>. And do a search
for more Russia information at FITA's International Trade Web Resources
<http://fita.org/webindex/> (http://fita.org/webindex). Click on Regional
Resources and Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column, then scroll down
to Europe and click on Russia in the drop-down box. Or simply type "Russia" in
the search box at <http://www.fita.org>.

FOREIGN CORRUPT PRACTICES ACT
http://www.bisnis.doc.gov/bisnis/fcp1.htm

Giving or accepting bribes is not an ethical way to do business, and American
citizens who pay bribes to foreign government or political party officials can
be prosecuted under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). The FCPA makes a
strong and concerted effort to prevent bribery, and it's important to know what
falls under the Act's guidelines - including any responsibilities of partners
of American companies. There's a good explanation of the Act at the FCPA page
of the BISNIS <http://www.bisnis.doc.gov/bisnis/fcp1.htm> (Business Information
Service for the Newly Independent States) site (
http://www.bisnis.doc.gov/bisnis/fcp1.htm ). Also, you can test yourself on how
well you know the Act by going to this PDF document
<http://sensor.northgrum.com/ethics/Documents/FCPA.pdf> (
http://sensor.northgrum.com/ethics/Documents/FCPA.pdf ) prepared by Northrop
Grumman for its employees.

ANNOUNCING WORLD POINTSSM -- the rewards program that absolutely puts you first
http://www.applyonlinenow.com/us/FU2A-A000000WOI
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz162996>
You don't need another credit card - you need a better one! The FITA Platinum
Plus® Visa® credit card with WorldPointsSM is now available to U.S.-based
subscribers to Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals. The
FITA WorldPoints Visa card, issued by MBNA America Bank, offers you the chance
to earn everything from tickets on any major U.S. airline (with no black-out
dates), car rentals or hotel stays in the U.S., merchandise, even unlimited
cash rewards. What’s more, you can now take advantage of a 0% Introductory
Annual Percentage Rate (APR) on all cash advances, including balance transfers,
good through your first 12 statement closing dates!+ All this with no annual
fee and unsurpassed benefits, perfect for the international trade professional.
To learn more about WorldPoints benefits or to apply, click on
http://www.applyonlinenow.com/us/FU2A-A000000WOI
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz162996>  (or copy this address into
the location/address field of your browser) Apply on-line now!

+ For rate, fees, features, and benefits associated with the use of the card;
or to apply, click on http://www.applyonlinenow.com/us/FU2A-A000000WOI
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz162996> and refer to the
disclosures accompanying the online credit card application.

NUTRITION FACTS ANALYZER
http://www.nutritiondata.com/

The next time I go to my favorite burger joint and get a double cheeseburger
with fries for lunch, I'm going to visit NutritionData's Nutrition Facts
Analyzer <http://www.nutritiondata.com/> ( http://www.nutritiondata.com/ ) to
find out how badly I fell off my diet. This site gives you the nutritional
content of hundreds of foods, including menu items from popular fast food
eateries like Wendy's and Dairy Queen. Just type in a keyword, or browse the
food categories, and in seconds you'll get the facts on the fats, carbs,
protein and other ingredients of the foods you eat. It's a useful site for
anyone who's trying to eat healthy.

CHINESE VERSION OF REALLY USEFUL SITES FOR INTERNATIONAL TRADE PROFESSIONALS
http://www.fita.org/sparkice/mediakit.html

FITA is proud to announce a new partnership with Sparkice
<http://www.sparkice.com> of Beijing, China. Starting in October 2003 Sparkice
will distribute a Chinese version of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals to more than 600,000 international trade professionals
throughout greater China. Click here
<http://www.fita.org/sparkice/mediakit.html> for information about advertising
to this huge market at a very low cost. And click here
<http://www.fita.org/sparkice/> for more information about the project. To
advertise, contact Barney Lehrer, FITA's Director of eCommerce at
<mailto:address@hidden>.

We welcome our subscribers to publish this whole issue or articles from it. But
please note that all material is copyrighted by FITA and must be copied with
the following attribution:
"This is copied from the newsletter Really Useful Sites for International Trade
Professionals <http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz162994>, a free,
bi-weekly email publication of FITA - The Federation of International Trade
Associations. Please feel free to subscribe to this newsletter at
http://fita.org/useful <http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz162994>."

If you'd like to see all back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, the full list is at http://www.fita.org/useful/archives
<http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz162995>.

SEARCH BACK ISSUES OF REALLY USEFUL SITES FOR INTERNATIONAL TRADE PROFESSIONALS
Use the search box below to search terms in all issues of this newsletter since
February 2001

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
Copyright © 2003 Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights
reserved.

 <http://fita.m.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz162991>

TELL A FRIEND --
http://fita.m.xtenit.com/friend.jsp?uid=327937&appid=240&j=10097

--------
Modify your preferences or unsubscribe here:

http://fita.m.xtenit.com/al.jsp?vk=fnk4tuVQ&address@hidden&an=240