guile-sources

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, Issue 54 Volu

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, Issue 54 Volume 3 Number 6
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:47:06 -0500 (EST)

To view this newsletter in full-color:
http://www.fita.org/useful/useful.html

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals Issue 54 Volume 3
Number 6
March 12, 2003
Issue 54
VOLUME 3 Number 6

 IN THIS ISSUE
OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- SINGAPORE
LATIN AMERICAN POST
FLIGHT TRACKER
FAST FOOD FACTS

Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for International Trade
Professionals.
This free bi-weekly newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources
database
at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at
http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz43389 an excellent
source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of 5,000+ sites
related to
international trade.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing about useful Web
sites for
businesspeople, in various publications. Now I've focused on international
trade, using
my Web research skills to find sites that are useful for international
businesspeople,
and some sites that are just plain fun for anyone.

Here are the sites:

OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE -- SINGAPORE
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/library/ne/main.htm

Some years ago I got into a conversation with a businessman on a plane, and he
said to me, "If I were just starting out today, I'd move to Singapore. That's
where the future is."Singapore has one of the highest living standards in the
world, and it's a country of glittering skyscrapers and a thriving port. It
depends heavily on trade -- it's one of the largest U.S. trading partners --
and you'll find plenty of opportunities here.
A good place to start your research is Singapore: Past, Present Future
<http://www.ntu.edu.sg/library/ne/main.htm>
(http://www.ntu.edu.sg/library/ne/main.htm), a site from Nanyang University. I
profiled this site before for its Asian resources, but it's worth highlighting
today for the quality of its links that are specific to Singapore. If you click
on Web Resources <http://www.ntu.edu.sg/library/ne/web.htm> (
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/library/ne/web.htm ), for instance, you'll find links to
Singapore's history, news, politics, government agencies, databases, speeches,
a calendar of events, economic reports, and more. There's plenty of useful
information at this site -- it's worth a look if you're interested in
Singapore.
There are many more links to Singapore at the FITA site. Go to
<http://fita.org/webindex/index.html>, click on Regional Resources and
Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column or "Search by Country or Region"
in the right column, then scroll down to Asia and click on Singapore in the
drop-down box. Or simply type "Singapore" in the search box at
<http://www.fita.org>.

LATIN AMERICAN POST
http://www.latinamericanpost.com/

I just found a way to stay up to date on Latin American news without taxing my
high school Spanish. It's a site called LatinAmerican Post
<http://www.latinamericanpost.com/> ( http://www.latinamericanpost.com/ ), and
it's got news about Latin America in English. The easy-to-use format has
breaking news, current events analysis, economic and financial data, feature
stories, an art gallery featuring Latin American artists, travel profiles,
sports, and plenty more.

THE FITA BUY/SELL EXCHANGE
http://fita.worldbid.com <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz43401>

FITA and Worldbid.com now offer an International Buy/Sell exchange. The FITA
Buy/Sell Exchange <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz43401> at
http://fita.worldbid.com is FITA's business-to-business marketplace that helps
your company find more business by delivering tender opportunities, RFQ's and
qualified offers to buy and sell. You will have access to a global network of
affiliated trade sites that work together to bring together businesses across
borders. Take a look!

FLIGHT TRACKER
http://www.trip.com/trs/trip/flighttracker/flight_tracker_home.xsl

Recently, my wife was returning home on a business flight. When she didn't call
from the airport to tell me she had landed, I got worried. Luckily, I was able
to allay my fears by going to the FlightTracker
<http://www.trip.com/trs/trip/flighttracker/flight_tracker_home.xsl> page (
http://www.trip.com/trs/trip/flighttracker/flight_tracker_home.xsl) at
Trip.Com, where I found out her flight was delayed due to weather. At this
page, you can find out the status of U.S. and international flights, and all
you need is the airline and flight number, or arrival city and time.
FlightTracker will show you exactly where the plane is (there's even a graphic
interface that will show you the plane's progress), and the reason for any
delays. It's a handy tool for people who fly a lot (and their relatives).

FAST FOOD FACTS
http://www.olen.com/food/

"We're eating too much fast food," is a lament I often make to my family.
Although I feel guilty about it, there are times when we're too busy to cook a
meal, and I am forced to buy fast food. With Fast Food Facts
<http://www.olen.com/food/> ( http://www.olen.com/food/ ) at least I can
determine which are the healthiest cheeseburgers out there. At this site you
can find the calories, fat content, sodium, cholesterol, and other nutritional
numbers for food items at the most popular fast food restaurants. If you want a
comparison, just type in "french fries", for example, and select "Display all
restaurants", and you'll get a handy comparison of the nutritional content of
french fries across a range of restaurants. There are also links at this site
to recipes for healthy meals -- so now I'll feel even more guilty about feeding
cheeseburgers to my kids.

If you'd like to search back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, there's a search page at
http://fita.org/useful/search.html
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz43399>.

If you'd like to see all back issues of Really Useful Sites for International
Trade Professionals, the full list is at http://www.fita.org/useful/archives
<http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz43400>.

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
Copyright © 2003 Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights
reserved.

 <http://xis.xtenit.com/ct.jsp?uz327937Biz43393>

TELL A FRIEND -- http://fita.m.xtenit.com/friend.jsp?uid=327937&appid=240&j=5243

--------
Modify your preferences or unsubscribe here:

http://fita.m.xtenit.com/al.jsp?vk=fnk4tuVQ&address@hidden&an=240