guile-sources

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:49:11 -0400

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals

Monday, May 13, 2002 Issue 33   VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10
WELCOME
http://www.fita.org

Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals. This free bi-weekly newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources database at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at www.fita.org, an excellent source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of 4,000+ sites related to international trade.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing about useful Web sites for businesspeople, in various publications. Now I've focused on international trade, using my Web research skills to find sites that are useful for international businesspeople, and some sites that are just plain fun for anyone.

If you'd like to search back issues of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, there's a search page at http://fita.org/useful/search.html.

If you are reading this because it was forwarded to you by a colleague and want to subscribe, go to the bottom of this page to the Subscriptions section or simply click here, enter your email address and click on "add."

If you wish to unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page to the Subscriptions section or simply click here, enter your email address and click on "remove."

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Here they are:

TRADE LEADS
http://tradeleads.info

When I started my first e-mail newsletter in 1994 I was tickled pink to get e-mails from subscribers all over the globe. To have a conversation with people on the other side of the world was truly amazing to me, and I still think this global reach is the most profound change the Internet has brought. Especially in international commerce. Through the Net, people from opposite ends of the globe can now transact business with the simple click of a mouse. And with trade lead bulletin boards, it's almost as easy to find customers across the world as it is to find them across the street in your hometown. There are hundreds of these bulletin boards on the Web, but here are four especially useful ones.

  • FITA Buy/Sell Exchange at fita.worldbid.com. This is an international, business-to-business marketplace, powered by Worldbid.com, that provides qualified trade leads and catalog postings. When you register for paid membership you get access to a global network of affiliated sites that work together to enhance trade across borders, as well as national trade within borders.
  • BuyUSA at www.fita.org/marketplace/buyusa.html. This site, created by the U.S. Commercial Service and IBM and co-branded and endorsed by FITA, links businesses in the U.S. with more than 20,000 qualified buyers and potential business partners around the world.
  • FITA/ALIBABA Marketplace at fita.alibaba.com. The FITA/Alibaba Marketplace is a partnership btween FITA and Alibaba.com, the world's largest marketplace for global trade and the leading provider of online marketing services for importers and exporters.
  • Global Technology Network (GTN), a program of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). GTN lists leads for opportunities in developing countries where USAID promotes economic opportunities through U.S. foreign aid programs.

For links to most of the trade lead Web sites on the Internet, go to FITA's Trading Hub at www.tradeleads.info.

TWO MEDICAL SITES
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/encyc...

Another area of life the Internet has revolutionized is consumer health information. When my Dad was diagnosed with cancer eight years ago I found a handful of forums on Compuserve where I could research his illness. Now, there are hundreds of places on the Web where you can go to research medical conditions. Here are two of the better ones.

  • The Adam Health Illustrated Encyclopedia at www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/encyclopedia.html. Created by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, this site has more than 4,000 articles about diseases, tests, symptoms, and injuries, along with drug information, links to medical dictionaries, online physician directories, and lots of other resources.
  • MedTerms.com  at www.medterms.com/script/main/AlphaIdx.asp?p=A_DICT . Just type in a keyword at this site and you'll get tons of information about medical conditions, treatment, medications, plus doctors' answers to questions sent in by site visitors.

OUR FEATURED REGIONAL SITE -- LATCO
http://www.latco.org/tools.htm

If you want to do business with countries in Latin America you should check out LATCO Tools of the Trade at www.latco.org/tools.htm . It's a simple page of links, but it has everything you need to get started in Latin American trade, from news, to a calendar of trade events, to advice about dealing successfully with cultural differences, to trade leads, to country information, and more.

There are lots more links to these countries at the FITA site. Go to FITA's International Trade Web Resources at www.fita.org/webindex, click on Regional Resources and Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column or "Search by Country or Region" in the right column, and then scroll down to Latin America. Or simply type "Latin America" in the search box at www.fita.org.

EASIER, FASTER, LESS EXPENSIVE INTERNATIONAL PAYMENTS
http://www.pb.com/cgi-bin/pb.dll/payment...

Do you need an easier, faster, less expensive way for your Business to send wire transfers and drafts outside of the U.S.? If so, FITA and Pitney Bowes have the perfect solution for you! Through Pitney Bowes International Payments, you can initiate payments on-line, over the phone and by fax into more than 50 currencies. And you can use your current business bank account. New customers get a 90 day free trial with no transaction charges on foreign currency payments. In addition, FITA newsletter subscribers receive $25 after making the first payment in a foreign currency!! To enroll or for more information, click here.

WORLD TRAVEL NET
http://www.world-travel-net.com

These days, whenever I want to travel, I look for a Web site where I can make my reservations. I bookmarked World Travel Net at www.world-travel-net.com for future use, because it's a gateway to some of the best bargains and travel information on the Internet. Search by keyword, country, city, or category including airlines, car rentals, events, hotels, and tourist boards. It also has a site of the week, travel news, tools, tips, route planner, temperature, and climate information.

For archived issues of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, click on http://fita.org/useful/archives.html.

Archive
Issue 32
April 29, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 9
Issue 31
April 14, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 8
Issue 30
April 1, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 7
Issue 29
March 19, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 6
Issue 28
March 4, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 5

[MORE]
Click on a past issue number to see its content.
Full archives can be found at
http://fita.org/useful/archives.html.

Subscriptions

Enter your email address in the box below to receive an email each time we post a new issue of our newsletter:

Add Remove
Send as HTML