guile-gtk-general

Re: guile-gnome0 - unexplained GTK crashes since +- 10 days

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: guile-gnome0 - unexplained GTK crashes since +- 10 days
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 08:44:20 +1100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think a guile-gnome compiled
> against 1.6 will work against 1.8 because it links to the older library.

Yep.

> So if it is the case that guile-gnome will only work against the
> MAJOR.MINOR that it was compiled against, then perhaps guile-gnome-0
> should exec guile-MAJOR.MINOR unconditionally.

Except that's a debian-ism I guess.  The worse problem is getting each
library .scm to know which .so file it should load-extension.  There's
nothing stopping anyone having a go at it keyed on the "effective
version" or the sonum or whatever, but it's a bit painful.  The
easiest is of course "don't do that", ie. work against one compiled
guile and leave it at that.