guile-gtk-general

working guile-gnome!

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: working guile-gnome!
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:06:40 +0200

Hi,

I just finished with a set of changes so that g-wrap, a library that
guile-gnome uses to do low-level bindings, does not molest the root
module. It used to be that all generics were added to the root module.
That is no longer the case.

I also updated guile-gnome to compile and work with Guile 1.8, this
newer version of g-wrap (required, but not checked for yet :-/), and
fixed warnings and errors with newer compilers and GNOME libraries.
Guile-gnome is not yet up to date with current libraries; that's next on
my list.

Testing is needed though. Until the attached patch (the last in a
series) hits upstream g-wrap, probably the easiest way is via bzr:

bzr get http://wingolog.org/bzr/g-wrap/wingo g-wrap
cd g-wrap
./autogen.sh --prefix=... && make && make install

Then get guile-gnome:

bzr get http://arch.gna.org/guile-gnome/bzr/pkg guile-gnome
cd guile-gnome
scripts/get-packages guile-gnome-platform
./autogen --prefix=... && make && make install

Then try out guile-gtk-demo.scm, from gtk/examples/guile-gtk-demo/. It
should work fine with Guile 1.8; I haven't tested it with 1.6 yet
though. I suggest installing to somewhere in /opt, but you will need to
get your PKG_CONFIG_PATH, GUILE_LOAD_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PATH
right. Otherwise you can install to /usr, but if it messes up you can
keep the pieces ;)

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

Andy.