Re: A Guile debugger workgroup?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: A Guile debugger workgroup?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 10:59:14 -0500

Hi Neil,

Neil Jerram <neiljerram@gmail.com> writes:

> I wrote something called GDS, back in 1.8 days, that combined some of
> the Emacs interaction features that we now have with Geiser, with
> step-by-step debugging and breakpoints.  You can read about that here:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/Using-Guile-in-Emacs.html#Using-Guile-in-Emacs

Thanks for sharing; unfortunately the page has vanished, it seems, and I
couldn't find an alternative link.  Is the GDS source still available
from somewhere?  Perhaps it could offer hints about how to integrate
Guile with Emacs.

I'd think the lowest friction, most maintainable way though would be to
ensure that the existing Guile debugger covers all the use cases we want
it to, and then bind it to Emacs using GUD, RealGUD or a similar
existing library.  That way it should be also be possible to use it with
other IDEs, which'd help with democratizing Guile, in my opinion.

> Unfortunately the debugging side of GDS was based on the low level
> traps in the 1.8 interpreter, and that was all blown away in the 2.0
> rewrite, so GDS stopped working at that point.  I don't know what
> modern equivalent 3.x has to the 1.8 low level traps - perhaps we
> would instead advocate for recompiling the relevant code with extra
> instrumentation, like edebug does?

Edebug offers a great debugging experience, so if we can mimic any of
what it does, it'd probably be a good thing!

--
Thanks,
Maxim