Re: Feature request: Ability to document variables like defvar in elisp

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: Feature request: Ability to document variables like defvar in elisp
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 04:19:16 +0000

To clarify I don't want to set the docstring to the value, but to the
**variable name** like elisp, defining the docstring to the value seems insane
to me.

First of all can we agree that the proposed syntax is a good idea that we want
implemented?:

    (define variable value docstring)
                           ^^^^^^^^^

As to me it seems as very logical and intuitive solution.

Then if we can't implement it in guile due to it's current limitations then I
propose to track the expected implementation as a bug and in the meantime
declare e.g. macro in srfi-X that defines the immeiate and then uses the
variable name to set the docstring to the variable name through appropriate
code such as the one provided by Mikael Djurfeldt to be e.g. the familiar
defvar or even define*:

    (defvar variable value docstring)
    => (define variable value)
    => (set-object-property! (module-variable (current-module) 'variable)
'documentation "Documentation here")

So that the common useless comments above variable definition can be removed
from guile scripts and development environments such as
https://github.com/Johni0702/guile-language-server adjusted to show the popup
in emacs and when guile is able to use the proposed syntax to just
s#defvar#define#gm

-- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek