Re: Guile 2.0 eating memory on ARM

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile 2.0 eating memory on ARM
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 22:18:34 +0200

Hello Neil,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I've successfully cross-compiled Guile (stable-2.0, e309f3bf9e)
> for my Freerunner phone.  However, when I run it, it just keeps
> allocating memory until the OOM killer kills it:

How much RAM does it have?  What is Guile doing when it gets killed?  Is
it running a program or just trying to get to the REPL?

> Also a couple of notes to connect back with previous threads about
> cross-compiling:
>
> - I have some more patches to allow the running of guile and guile-tools
>   during the build.  I'll post those probably tomorrow, and also compare
>   them with Jan's series.

Great!

> - Following the discussion about a cross version of `guile-tools
>   compile', I realized that the Freerunner ARM platform is
>   little-endian, and hence the .go files should be identical to those
>   for x86.  Therefore, although I was going to look at adding a target
>   type in the way that Ludo and Andy agreed, I don't actually need to do
>   that yet.
>
>   (Is that right?

I think so.

>   In any case, it definitely isn't relevant to the memory eating
>   problem, because the strace shows that guile hasn't yet tried to
>   open any .scm or .go files.)

Woow, really?  Then can you start it directly under gdb and interrupt it
quickly after to see what’s going on?

FWIW it runs on my GuruPlug, an ARM device, but that one has 512 MiB of RAM.

Thanks,
Ludo’.