Re: CPAN for Guile

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: CPAN for Guile
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:03:25 +0200

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon 07 Mar 2011 21:13, Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm (very slowly) working on getting dorodango[0] to work on Guile.  In
>> principle, nothing in Dorodango is inherently tied to R6RS -- it should
>> very reasonably be possible to use it for Guile-specific packages as
>> well.
>>
>> [0] http://home.gna.org/dorodango/
>
> Looks very nice, and well thought-out.  Dorodango would be an excellent
> starting point.
>
> Alaric Snell-Pym gave us an overview of Chicken's system here:
> http://rotty.yi.org/irclogs/freenode/#guile/2011-02-10/#e212
>
> I agree with him that one of the most important aspects about
> CPAN-alikes is the social one: how the system enables the hack, and with
> what flavor.  For example right now Guile has a tight center, enforced
> by the stability needs of Guile, as well as the copyright assignment
> policy, then a wide-orbiting set of comet- and asteroid-like libraries.
> A good CPAN-alike would smooth this out into a gradient of more and less
> experimental hacks, to enable participation of folks with useful
> libraries, but which don't need to be in Guile proper.
>
> It would be good to also think about modules' test suites,
> documentation, code coverage, code analysis and such, and be opinionated
> about that.

Yeah, that are all areas I envisioned for dorodango, but have not yet
tackled.

> It would be interesting to have the ability to add on, as an additional
> source of code, repos with portable R6RS code.

Indeed. Dorodango already has the capability to deal with multiple
repositories, and a Guile-specific version of Dorodango would probably
come with a default configuration that points to Guile's (default)
reprository; users would then add additional ones according to their
likes.

> I wonder how this would affect us socially though.

No idea :-).

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>