Re: Code review for thread safeness

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Code review for thread safeness
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:18:14 -0600

On Mar 7, 2005, at 16:36, Kevin Ryde wrote:
Also, there are probably many more places that need to become critical
sections.  We need to find them and use SCM_CRITICAL_SECTION_START/END
or scm_frame_critical_section, as appropriate.

The ones I've spotted are (I might have posted this before),

        gethostbyname
        getpwuid

If at all possible, this code should be switched to use get*by*_r, or in the gethostby* cases, perhaps getaddrinfo and getnameinfo. Marking it as a critical section for Guile won't prevent some other thread that is doing no Guile stuff at all from calling gethostbyname or whatever around the same time.

Ken