Re: lazy sweeping.

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: lazy sweeping.
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:17:31 +0200

address@hidden writes:

>        Nothing spectacular. But now checkout ... the startup time!
>        (this is the time for starting guile, and then pressing ^D)
>

> This is not a very good measure of effective start-up time in
> SCM-based (incremental graph translation) Schemes.  Odds are you have
> a lot of untranslated code in that image, and when I add my

My intent was not measuring the performance of eval() and friends,
simply the act of reading in code into GUILE. If the new GC can be
attributed for the improvement, then it seems that reading in the
files generates a lot of garbage. The cost of that collecting that is
now smeared out over future allocations.