Re: gen gc

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: gen gc
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:33:36 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Earlier I thought you posted that object-address's docs say that it's
> supposed to return a value that's unique to the object, and I thought
> you also said that that the returned value was only ever used for
> display purposes (i.e. no one will ever say "give me the object
> corresponding to address N").
>
> If both of those bits are true, then all I was saying was that when
> you create an object, you could assign it a unique integer (from a
> counter) -- i.e. stick the integer into the object, and object-address
> could just look in the object and return that integer whenever called.

Most objects don't allow for places to insert extra
integers. object-address takes a general scheme object, and eg. in a
cons there is no room for an extra number.

> Of course if the object-address docs are wrong, then that's a
> different story.

Unless I'm mistaken, object-address is not standard Scheme, so we can
pretty much change the docs to suit our needs :)

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen