Re: guile-vm 0.3

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: guile-vm 0.3
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 16:05:18 -0400

At 31 Mar 2001 22:29:56 -0800,
Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     KN> I have checked in the current snapshot of my Guile VM to the
>     KN> CVS.  If anyone is interested, please check it out and try it.
>
> I'm very interested, but I hate seeing this work duplicated. Have you
> taken a look at all at Gnu Lightning?
>
>         http://www.gnu.org/software/lightning/lightning.html
>
> Shajnas al mi that it'd be faster and easier to work with this
> existing JIT compiler than to make a whole nother one from scratch.

My VM lacks a JIT compiler; it's just a simple bytecode interpreter.
If you want a JIT or a real compiler, you could convert the intermediate
form (GLIL) of my compiler into machine code, using Marius's Lightning
module.  My work will put more emphasis on the higher layer of the
compiler, including a module system, a type system, and optimization.

Kei