gsl-shell-info

Re: [Gsl-shell-info] Is there a function to compute matrix powers or the

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: Re: [Gsl-shell-info] Is there a function to compute matrix powers or the matrix exponential?
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:47:15 +0200

2013/8/14 Omar Antolín Camarena <address@hidden>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does GSL Shell come with implementations of matrix powers (with
> integral exponents) or the matrix exponential? I couldn't find any in
> the documentation. (And I am not familiar with GSL, but a quick search
> suggests that GSL doesn't have this either.)

Hi Omar,

unfortunately GSL Shell does not have the matrix exponential function
neither it is provided by the GSL library.

I know that the matrix exponential function is very useful and it is
already in the list of the functions that should be implemented but
unfortunately I cannot guarantee any visibility for its
implementation.

If anyone want to contribute an implementation that would be very
welcome. After all GSL Shell is free software! :-)

In the mean time may be you can use the venerable technique of using
the eigenvalues factorization of the matrix. When applicable this
technique can be a good solution but this depend on you specific
problem.

Best regards
Francesco