grub-devel

Re: multiboot2 and module2 boot issues via GRUB2

From: Roman Shaposhnik
Subject: Re: multiboot2 and module2 boot issues via GRUB2
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 10:37:25 -0700

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 1:19 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:
On 01.04.2021 21:43, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 01/04/2021 09:44, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
>>> Not sure if it ought to be a grub patch - the issue could as well
>>> be dealt with in Xen, by concatenating modules to form a monolithic
>>> initrd.
>> I would rather have it done in the loader than Xen, mostly because
>> it's a Linux boot specific format, and hence I don't think Xen should
>> have any knowledge about it.
>>
>> If it turns out to be impossible to implement on the loader side we
>> should consider doing it in Xen, but that's not my first option.
>
> Concatenating random things which may or may not be initrds is
> absolutely not something Xen should do.  We don't have enough context to
> do it safely/sensibly.

Well, I wasn't suggesting anywhere to concatenate random things.
Instead I was envisioning a command line option giving us the
context we need (e.g. "initrd=3+5").

That's actually not a bad idea at all -- I may look into how feasible it would
be to add on Xen side. GRUB side is trivial (but I'm not sure upstream folks
would take it).

Thanks,
Roman.