grub-devel

Multiboot2 on aarch64: Alignment of ELF Headers

From: Chris Plant
Subject: Multiboot2 on aarch64: Alignment of ELF Headers
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 17:23:35 +0100

Hi,

I'm continuing to work on Multiboot2 support on aarch64, and I'm
looking at the alignment of the ELF headers which are passed through
MB2.

The alignment of the MB2 header's isn't the problem, the problem is in
the ELF headers which are linked through.  Some of the 8 byte wide
fields (specifically addr and size) in the ELF headers are not aligned
on 8 byte boundaries, and instead can aligned on 4-byte boundaries.

My question is, is it preferable to state that it is possible that the
headers may be aligned on 4 byte boundaries (and manage that through
reading two 4-byte chunks), or to change grub code to ensure that the
ELF headers are aligned on 8 byte boundaries and state that 8 byte
alignment is always the case?

I think logically that it should be 8 byte aligned so that's my
preference, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Chris