grub-devel

Copyrights and licenses

From: Eric McCorkle
Subject: Copyrights and licenses
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 10:38:36 -0400

As part of my work on FreeBSD (re)-integration, I would like to pull in
some code from the FreeBSD loader for GELI volumes.  Specifically, there
were some changes a while back that did things like store keys and check
new volumes against the cached keys.  I also noticed when I looked at
the current GELI code in grub that it doesn't seem to be zeroing out
keys properly when done with them.

This of course introduces a licensing question.  The FreeBSD loader code
is under the 2-clause BSD license.  I noticed that the current GELI code
seems to incorporate a 2-clause BSD banner; is it therefore acceptable
to simply update the banner?