grub-devel

Re: are posix-shell-compliant continuation lines valid/supported, or not

From: PGNet Dev
Subject: Re: are posix-shell-compliant continuation lines valid/supported, or not, in /etc/default/grub ?
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 20:17:20 -0700

On 3/19/20 8:04 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> On 3/19/20 10:02 PM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>> I am sorry which email are the "quoted" phrases from?

not from an email.

directly from the bug I referenced, prior to coming here:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1868138/comments/4

, subsequent to chats in #irc

>> Because that's nothing that I have said.

sure. that's clear, and certainly not assumed!

>> I hope you do understand that it
>> is intended for all of the Ubuntu installer & upgrade integrations to keep
>> valid configs compatible.

That's the assumption -- or at least the hope -- for all the mainstream distros.

And Grub's certainly about as consistent/portable/reliable/cross-everything as
it gets.  And appears to include aforementioned Posix script compliance for the
config script.

Ubu dev's proclaimation as otherwise is what caused the ... surprise ... & the
questions here.

Bottom line ... Grub continues to work exactly reliably/predictably, as it
should.

Ubu's install should be fixed, not hand-waved away for specious reasons.

That can be dealt with best in the bug itself.

thx.