grub-devel

Re: TPM support within Grub2

From: Daniel P. Smith
Subject: Re: TPM support within Grub2
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 16:39:09 -0400

On 07/18/2018 12:27 PM, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> On 07/17/2018 06:57 PM, Philip Tricca wrote:

>>> In general I am not against reorganization you are mentioning above.
>>> Though I think that then you should rearange Matthew code and repost
>>> it. Of course if Matthew does not object.
>>>
>>> Another thing is the verifiers framework. It would be nice if you could
>>> hook your work there. Though you have to remember about other users like
>>> UEFI secure boot
>>> (https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-07/msg00985.html;
>>> I am going to revive work on this patch) or GPG signatures. So, please
>>> take a look at that code at git://git.savannah.gnu.org/grub.git,
>>> phcoder/verifiers branch. If it works for you I will post the patches,
>>> with minor fixes and improvements which are worth doing, for review (of
>>> course if Vladimir does not object). If you discover any issues with the
>>> verifiers framework just drop me a line and then we will try to fix them.
>>>
>>> And another thing... Could not we reuse Philip TPM 2.0 work in GRUB2
>>> somehow?
>>
>> It's possible to use at least one of the APIs we've been developing in
>> Grub2 but I'm not sure the patches under review require this. It's been
>> a year now since I've reviewed these patches but AFAIK they don't
>> require any TPM2 functions beyond what the UEFI TrEE protocol exposes.
>>

> That's correct.
>
>> I have had a few people ask about combining Grub2s support for LUKS
>> volumes with the key usage policy from the TPM2 as a way to ensure the
>> integrity of the firmware before releasing a key used to decrypt the
>> LUKS volume. In this case using some of the APIs / libraries we've been
>> developing (https://github.com/tpm2-software/tpm2-tss) would make sense
>> since the TrEE protocol doesn't expose any of the interfaces we would
>> require: key creation & loading, policy sessions etc.
>>
>> There would be a small amout of development work to implement an adapter
>> to sit between the tss2-sys library and the TrEE 'SubmitCommand'
>> function though. We have a standard API for this and have used it as the
>> basis for our support on Linux and Windows so I don't expect a UEFI
>> implementation to be much work if it becomes necessary. I do not however
>> believe this is required for the work under review.
>>

> I wonder if we want something like the System API in GRUB2 or just a set of
> TPM2 commands implemented using the EFI_TCG2_SUBMIT_COMMAND as you said. Is
> what Microsoft is doing in its lsvmload [0] to implement its Shielded VM [1].

For me the issue is that I am working in coreboot environments where
UEFI is not present. Second, until OEM's stop including the kitchen sink
in their UEFI builds, I hold UEFI suspect and would like to reduce the
chance that it can interfere with my interactions with the TPM. So when
I get to TPM2, I will likely be looking to just do the I/O operations
and marshaling directly. This is getting to what I was suggesting in the
initial email that layer the abstractions so efi kernel can use TrEE by
default and for either override or for non-efi have the i386 kernel
handle raw I/O. Then a tpm lib or command module can expose TPM
operations that things like LUKS or TrenchBoot can leverage.