grub-devel

Re: man page improvements

From: Andrew Worsley
Subject: Re: man page improvements
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 15:05:52 +1000

On 5 May 2016 at 13:38, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
​....

Actually I was sure man pages do contain reference to info, that is what
help2man normally generates. When I build it myself I have

       The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a
Texinfo  manual.   If  the
       info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your
site, the command

              info grub-install

       should give you access to the complete manual.

OK, that is rather misleading as "info grub-install" does not work, we
need to pass "-p grub" to help2man which then becomes

       The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a
Texinfo  manual.   If  the
       info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your
site, the command

              info grub

       should give you access to the complete manual.

Patches are welcome :)

You are right - info grub-install does give me the documentation - I guess I am so not use to moving around info that really puts me off using it versus a man page or reading a pdf on my kobo.

It appears to be in grub2-common in /usr/share/info/grub.info.gz

I still think the man page is really brief and will have a go
at writing a paragraph for --help which will go into the man page
and see what people think.

Thanks

Andrew