grub-devel

Re: [Savannah-users] Anonymous commit (empty Author and Committer)

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Anonymous commit (empty Author and Committer)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 08:37:00 -0800

On 02.11.2015 07:11, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 08:24:06AM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
If we decide to fix this commit it is better done now, while it is the last
one. It is annoying but do you have suggestion how it can be done
differently?

Well the only options are:

1) Leave it alone
2) Break the tree of anyone that already pulled. (Posting instructions on
how to fix it would at least be nice then).

Not sure how many people regularly pull the tree.

This is silly FUD. There is no ever any "broken tree".

Firstly, people who have no local changes do not experience any ill effect.
They just have to do

  $ git fetch

  # oops, upstream and local branch have diverged
  # but I have absolutely no local work to preserve;
  # just "warp" HEAD to the new one:

  $ git reset --hard origin/master

  # done!

Those who have outstanding local work never have any expectation of non-breakage!
*All* fetches are "non-fast-forward" with regard to unpublished
local work, because they occur to a prior version of the work, underneath your
changes.

In *all* cases you can do this:

  # Fast-forward or not, I don't care!
  $ git fetch

# Take my 13 unpublished commits (or whatever number), rebase them over the
  # latest upstream master, and make the result my local master branch:

  $ git rebase HEAD~13 --onto origin/master