grub-devel

Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 140, Issue 25

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 140, Issue 25
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 12:39:59 -0400

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 09:05:47AM +0000, Stuart Weaver wrote:
> Hi Manoel,
>
> Many thanks for your detailed answer and quick response! I've looked into
> using this but I don't think it will stop the root problem of GRUB loading
> the wrong grub.cfg file. Is there a way of using the 'search' command before
> GRUB has loaded a grub.cfg and therefore use the same command to look for the
> grub.cfg?
>
> To reiterate,
>
> 1. If both eMMC and USB are connected and from the BIOS I choose to boot into
> the USB, I would expect the BIOS to load GRUB and GRUB to load the grub.cfg
> on the USB... And that is exactly what happens. However...
>
> 2. If both eMMC and USB are connected and from the BIOS I choose to boot into
> the eMMC I would expect the BIOS to load GRUB and GRUB to load the grub.cfg
> on the eMMC... Unfortunately the BIOS loads GRUB on the eMMC (correct) but
> GRUB loads the grub.cfg from the USB, not the eMMC.
>
> I would like to keep the two systems as separate as possible and let the BIOS
> choose which system to boot. Is this possible?

If the BIOS provides a list of disks to GRUB that has the USB as the first
device and eMMC as the second, there isn't much grub can do about it.

In my laptop I have two SATA devices, and the BIOS always provides them to
GRUB in the order of the ports, even though I have it set to boot from the
second one.  It's a bit annoying, but at least it is consistent about it.

Would be nice if yours put the fixed devices before the removable devices,
but some systems are stupid.

--
Len Sorensen