grub-devel

Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: Chainloadig from grub2 to isolinux
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 19:59:04 +0200

El 07/08/14 16:52, Beeblebrox escribió:
If you use loopback.cfg as intended it will all work.
loopback.cfg contains the linux/initrd entries relevant to each distro's iso
(or at least that's what the wiki page shows). That's exactly the problem -
each iso has different settings for linux/initrd entries, and if you get them
wrong, it really does not matter what file the entry was placed in.

Also as confirmed by ben, it's apparently not going to work on a number of
Debian-based iso's. Usually the solution is to include casper in the CD to make
this happen AFAIK.

As part of us releasing Rescatux as an isolinux based distro (before it was a super grub2 disk (or grub2) based distro) I am supposed to work with Debian Live people so that any Debian live cd has a default working loopback.cfg file.

Not sure if I'm going to do it in the next Rescatux stable release but definitively is in my TODO list.

Probably the most intelligent workaround for this problem is doing an isolinux.cfg, pxelinux.cfg or syslinux.cfg parser for grub2 in a similar way to the menu.lst parser.

As pxelinux.cfg has now some submenues I'm not sure that would work too good. I, personally, don't think it's worth the effort to implement such a parser but if you want it so much please implement it.

  I, personally, going to advocate for the loopback.cfg method.

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/