grub-devel

Re: Booting FreeBSD 10 from grub on Solaris 11.1 (grub 1.99)

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Booting FreeBSD 10 from grub on Solaris 11.1 (grub 1.99)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 15:23:42 +0400

В Sun, 20 Jul 2014 07:44:57 +1000
Noel Hunt <address@hidden> пишет:

> I have a FreeBSD 10.0/Solaris 11.1 dual-boot machine. Solaris was
> installed after FreeBSD and since it uses grub by default I am using
> that to boot. Currently I am just invoking /boot/loader from grub.cfg
> in Solaris to boot FreeBSD, but I would like to boot directly. This
> just doesn't work.
>
> I have installed grub2 on FreeBSD via ports, and run `grub-mkconfig'
> to get some entries for grub.cfg which I have simply applied to the
> Solaris installation (via the custom.cfg script).
>
> But, this entry just doesn't work. I have tried running each command
> by hand at the grub CLI with debugging but after all the debug output
> is printed (not revealing anything abnormal) the screen goes black
> and the machine reverts to the normal power-on screen, and the
> boot selection process starts all over again.

Just to be sure - you run commands *inside* menuentry { ... }, right?
If you run them exactly as they appear below, it just (re-)defines menu
entry without actually booting anything.

You need to run commands inside of curly braces, followed by
"boot" (which is implicit in case of menu entry processing).