grub-devel

multi-boot

From: Gene Czarcinski
Subject: multi-boot
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:14:00 -0400

In second 5.3 of the GNU GRUB 2.00 manual, there is a statement "Currently autogenerating config files for multi-boot environments depends on os-prober and has several shortcomings."

I agree. Os-prober and the way it works with 30_os-prober is fragile at best and sometimes produces incorrect configurations.

Personally, I use a variation of the manually configured option described in section 5.3: I install a very small system and then use /etc/grub.d/40_custom to provide my multi-boot options ... mostly by chainloading configfile.

In section 5.3, there is also mention of "fixing it is scheduled for the next release" and "it" refers to os-prober. OK, what is the story? Is anything being done to improve easy configuration for multi-boot?

Just what is the status of using/depending-on os-prober?

Some distributions such as SUSE, Fedora, RHEL, Ubuntu (?) believe that users want some type of auto-config which enables them to bootup their old systems when a new install replaces the MBR and points to this newly install system.

Comments?

Gene