grub-devel

Re: How should 30_os-prober be working?

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How should 30_os-prober be working?
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 14:37:50 +0000

On 13 Jun 2014 13:47, "Gene Czarcinski" <address@hidden> wrote:

> This deals with 30_os-prober and the os-prober package itself.
>
> In days of old, it was linux and initrd for linux systems (ignoring linuxefi and initrdefi).  Fedora 21 is in the process of starting up and it brings in grub2-2.02-0.3 and os-prober-1.58-7.  While these updates bring in improved support for /boot on btrfs subvols and LVMlvs, they also introduce using linux16 instead of linux and initrd16 instead of initrd.
>
> This last change breaks 30_os-prober so that no output is produced even when appropriate systems are identified.  The problem is that os-prober was only recognizing linux/initrd and the grub.cfg had linux/16/initrd16.  I have created an update for os-prober which now identifies the "type" of linux | linux16 (actually linux*) and initrd | initrd16 (actually initrd*) and linux-boot-prober now returns whatever linux* and initrd* matches to 30_os-prober.
>
> The question is: what should 30_os-prober do with this information? Currently, I simply use the "linux_type" and initrd_type" returned by linux-boot-prober (40grub2) as "operation" to be performed?  Is this correct?

Just ignore if it's linux16. Fedora uses it only for some obscure hardware with obscure drivers for obscure reasons. Moreover their way of using it breaks compatibility with anything but BIOS. I tried to sit with them to find proper solution or at very least limit it to BIOS systems were unfruitful (mostly Fedora and Red Hat don't care)