grub-devel

Re: [RFT] Truecrypt rescue image support

From: Sam Nelson
Subject: Re: [RFT] Truecrypt rescue image support
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 21:55:54 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

Thanks for creating this great feature!  I recently had a chance
to test this but I ran into a strange problem when using the TrueCrypt
rescue ISO.  I created a bootable USB thumb drive which contained
the rescue ISO and loaded it on boot using the grub truecrypt module
you created.  The rescue ISO boots just fine but when I enter the
password I only get a "invalid password" prompt.  I can verify that
the password I am using is correct by burning the exact same ISO
to a CDR disk and booting with it.  When booted from a CD, the
password is accepted.

It is quite possible I am just configuring something wrong.  Following
are a complete list of steps that I used to create the bootable
thumb drive, maybe you will see something I am missing.

My Software Versions: OS: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS grub: 2.02~beta2-9 parted:
2.3

Complete Steps (assuming /dev/sdb is USB thumb drive)
  sudo parted -s -- /dev/sdb mklabel msdos
  sudo parted -s -- /dev/sdb mkpart primary fat32 1 -1
  sudo parted -s -- /dev/sdb set 1 boot on
  sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1
  sudo mkdir /mnt/truecrypt
  sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/truecrypt/
  sudo grub-install /dev/sdb --root-directory=/mnt/truecrypt --modules=truecrypt
  sudo cp truecrypt-rescue-cd.iso /mnt/truecrypt/boot

Then I created /mnt/truecrypt/boot/grub.cfg
  menuentry "Truecrypt Rescue" {
    truecrypt /boot/truecrypt-rescue-cd.iso
  }

At this point I use the thumbdrive to boot the target system.  I
select "Truecrypt Rescue" from the grub menu and the rescue image
boots OK.  However, as I mentioned before, the password is not
accepted.

I am able to help test if you can think of any steps I should try.

Best regards,

Sam Nelson